Well, 2020 has been a year for the books with all the upheaval due to COVID, natural disasters, and elections. It feels like everything is changing quickly, but some things keep moving on. Real estate is no exception. Don’t let timing get in the way of your real estate transaction when you are ready to sell your home. Even during the holidays, you can successfully list and sell your home with a little attention to details.
Perhaps you want to sell your home in the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. regions for a job relocation or other time-sensitive reason. Whether you plan to sell For Sale By Owner (FSBO) or use an agent, you might be wondering if the holidays are a good time to sell. Here are some reasons it might just be a great time to sell:
- The housing market has stayed strong: Despite any economic uncertainties, the housing market has remained surprisingly strong. In many areas, homes are being snatched up as quickly as they come on the market – and often substantially above the asking price. This competition means prospective buyers could be eager to look at a new home that is just coming on the market.
- January is often the start date for new employment: Many companies hire new employees to begin work in January. Those relocation buyers are out looking for their new homes now. This year especially may bring a new flock of home buyers to the Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C. area with the change in Administration.
- Holiday homebuyers are serious: At some times of year, people like to dream about buying a new home or moving, but you know how busy the holidays can be. Anyone who is making time to look for a new home at this time must really be a serious buyer who is ready to buy, and buy now.
- Be a big fish in a small pond: Lots of other people will wait until after the holidays to put their home on the market, so you can really stand out now. If you wait too long, you might just be another fish in a very crowded pond.
Holiday Home Selling Tips
If you decide to sell your home during the holidays, here are some tips to make your FSBO sales effort more successful:
- Present your home in the best light: Take videos or photos of how cozy everything looks in winter, but also add a few summer shots, too. Buyers will appreciate the ability to see your house without the time or exposure of an in-person walk-through.
- Go minimalist with the holiday decorations: While some festive families like to go all out on the holiday decorations, but try to minimize your holiday décor when selling. Many buyers get a first-time impression on a drive-by viewing, and you don’t want to overwhelm them or make your house hard to see. Minimal and tasteful appeal is what you want to achieve.
- Make sure you market: You want to stand out from all the holiday hub-bub and advertising, so make sure you have plenty of flyers and yard signs to draw attention to your holiday home.
- You can still celebrate with your family: While a real estate agent might pressure you to hold open houses, you can control when prospective buyers come into your home, so you can still reserve time for private family holiday celebrations.
For Sale by Owner Home Selling Made Simple
Whenever you are ready to buy or sell a home, you will find ample resources for moving forward and making your transaction as smooth as possible on our website, gotofsbo.com, a resource and realtor for For Sale by Owner buyers and sellers who appreciate the savings FSBO offers.